AmazeKids’ Danny Orleans began his career performing at kids’ birthday parties. When he started performing shows in Chicago, one of the books that gave him tons of ideas was The Happy Birthday Business, by Frances Marshall. She ran Magic, Inc. which was the magic shop in Chicago and, along with performing at hundreds of parties herself, she booked a bunch of birthday party clowns and magicians.
She compiled tricks, patter, and marketing strategies of the day into this 128 page, perfect bound softcover book. This is one of the first books on the “birthday party biz” and is filled with routines specifically geared for children with props you probably already own. Truth? We were not surprised, Upon rereading this, that many of the plots and themes of the routines do more than just “hold up.” They are sure-fire laugh-getters.
You’ll really enjoy Frances’ discussion on advertising techniques (which have changed dramatically), and ways to make sure you get paid (which is still good advice in this new age of the Internet). Best part of the book for us was THE HAPPY BIRTHDAY PARTY GUIDE BOOK AND PLANNER. This is the text you need (over 2500 words) to create a booklet (or download) to help parents plan birthday parties. Modify it to suit your clients and it’ll position you as an expert in the Birthday Party Business
Here are some of the chapter headings:
- The Happy Birthday Business
- Spreading the News About the Show
- About This Low Budget
- The Clown Character For You
- The Telephone Deal and How to Make It
- Telephone Scenario
- Where to Go to Do Shows
- The Senior Citizen and the Happy Birthday Party
- What About the Rest of Us?
- Alive on Arrival
- Suitable Tricks for Birthday Party Shows and Why
- Problem of Age and the Happy Birthday Party
- Business End of the Happy Birthday Business
- Guide Book and Planner
- The Magic Bus
- Happy Birthday Business in Restaurants
- Happy Birthday, or Merry Christmas!
- Birthday Party Opening Routine
- Anatomy of a Happy Birthday Clown
- Fifteen Tricks, Routines, and Ideas plus
- Happy Birthday Magic from the Other Side of the World
When you get The Happy Birthday Business, you’ll be taking a step back in time, learning from one of the birthday party master magicians of her day. Armed with this information, you’ll be able to take many steps forward as you incorporate the tricks, giveaways, marketing and negotiating skills she teaches to improve your shows and your business.